From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:00:33 -0400
A gentle reminder about copyright law, of which we all, as law-abiding
citizens, should be mindful ... and of which we IBCLCs have a further duty
to support under Tenet 25 of the IBLCE Code of Ethics.

Look inside any book or journal you are all set to copy and send pages
from.  If it says something like"  "All rights reserved.  No part of the
material protected by this copyright notice may be reproduced in any form,
electronic or mechancial, including photocopying, recording, or any
information storage or retrieval system, without written permission for the
copyright owner" then I think it is pretty clear that you gotta ask before
you go around re-distributing and re-publishing the work of another.

The good news is that I have NEVER been refused, in all of my years of
asking for permission to re-use someone else's materials (since my motives
are always "pure" too -- that of educating other professionals -- versus,
say, seeking permission to copy so I can turn around and sell it to enrich
myself).  That is the beauty of the Internet -- you can reach authors and
get their permission within a day.

If you want to be a stickler on the details, in your permission-asking, seek
OK to use the reply e-mail as sufficient proof of permission.   "I have a
colleague who is asking about a lactation condition addressed perfectly in
your excellent book at pp 23-26.  May I have permission to copy and send
those pages to her, for her education, with full attribution, of course?
And if you grant such permission, is your e-mail reply sufficient proof?
Thank you in advance.  I really do love your resource."

OK, I guess you don't have to put the last sentence in ... but why not?  If
the work that someone has done is so worthy that you wnat to share it -- why
not compliment the author?

 --
Liz Brooks JD IBCLC FILCA (card-carrying, dues-paying member of the National
Writers Union in the USA)