Tue, 3 Nov 2009 20:06:12 EST
I have permission to post. G1P1 delivered 8/6 by  c-section who came to me
today for complaints of sore nipples. My coworkers  and I have worked on and
off with this mom for the last 3 months. She  originally came to us because
she was unsure about baby's intake. Baby's birth  weight was 7# 12oz and 2
weeks ago she was 11# 5oz. At one month, pre and post  feed weights showed
2-3 oz weight gain from one breast at a feed. We watched  baby's behavior and
she would do all the classic behaviors of strong MER. At  that time, we
suggested the posture feeding and/or expressing through the first  MER. She
tried those without success. Baby would not feed in the reclining  position so
I suggested that she try side lying. That she has been able to do  but not
very often.
    Today I observed a beautiful 3month old feed. She gulped  from the
first suck. Several minutes into the feed she began to slide down  nipple and
occasionally would pop off the breast. She would relatch several  times
throughout the feed. Mom has erect nipples that look intact but are red.  The
nipple was not misshapen after the feed. Baby usually feeds from only one
breast at a feed. Mom mentioned that she noted that her nipples look white
before she gets into the shower, which is usually after 2 feeds into the  day.
    Mom stated that baby is a happy baby, not gassy and  fussy, has normal
stools. Soon after our first visit baby was diagnosed with  GERD and put on
Zantac. Mom said it has helped to some degree baby still has  periods of
vomiting if she is laid down after a feed so she tries not to lay her  down
after a feed, but the vomiting can occur one hour after the feed. She can  pump
4oz from one breast in 10 minutes.
    We discussed: 1) trying to gradually recline more in her  positioning
so eventually she reaches that 45 degree recline; 2) peppermint  Altoids to
slowly decrease supply; 3) watch nipples over the next several days  to note
if there is any other color changes that we might consider vasospasm tx
with calcium/magnesium; 4) possible use of APNO. She will use a hydrogel pad
now  for the tenderness.
   My questions are what did I foget and what option should I  take to
further assist her?

Thanks,

Allyson Michaels RN, IBCLC
Charlottesville, VA