From:
Keleigh Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:11:19 -0500
Hi all,
I have not posted before - but I'm a long-time reader and appreciator of
your posts. Regina's insightful post just triggered something for me I
wanted to share. At our local WIC clinic, I just for the first time
encountered a woman who was exclusively pumping for her baby with no medical
cause. When I asked if he was still having latch issues, she replied "no,
not at all - he nurses just fine". She was putting him to the breast maybe
once a day, and he was getting a bottle the rest of the time. All this, she
said, was because she liked knowing how much milk he was getting. I suspect
having the ability to have others feed the baby also played a part, but she
didn't mention it. I was really taken aback by this and at a loss for what
to say to her. Reading Regina's take on the pump industry's goals really
resonates with me. The ad about the pump being best for mom and baby while
the breastfeeding is only best for the baby and not the mom really irks me
too. Why is it our culture aims to separate babies and mothers so forcefully
and in so many (money making) ways? I'm quite disallusioned about pump
manufacturers after all this. It seems we cannot assume they are on "our
side".

-Keleigh