HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2010 10:10:08 +0800
I must admit that I was very sad walking around Pompeii and realizing how
much has been lost since excavation. Although beautiful fresco's were cut
out and taken to museums all over the world the parts from either side of
the cut are now washed away demonstrating the fate of most of the exposed
plaster across the site. Walking the site in winter really hits it home,
there is water running down walls everywhere and moss and mould rampant
across every wet spot. Very few of the ruins are roofed to prevent such
damage and loss.
gaye