Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:10:50 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (56 lines)
 Hello all
With the holidays coming upon us and here in the south "Mardi Gras" drinking and alcohol is a big topic again.
I  use to tell moms,years ago, to drink with moderation.  I soon found out that my idea of moderation and theirs could be very different and very dangerous.  I don't tell them to pump and dump for 24-48 hours as many were instructed back then either, but I am very careful to give examples of limitations. 1) a glass of wine or champagne with dinner, 2) a single beer, 3) a single mixed drink of hard liquor, preferably only 1/2 strength is usually acceptable.  It is best to consume beverages with food (fat and protein not just chips)  to slow the absorption, and as already mentioned, consume after breastfeeding and allow time for
 this amount to clear most
 women's system, in 3-4 hours. I have
 found that most mom's fall into this category, for a simple evening out.  I have had mom's who wanted me to tell them it was OK to get "smashed" or habitually drink daily and still breastfeed with not delay in breastfeeding.   I have seen both extremes.
I use a handout from "Breastfeeding Basics Web site" listed below.  It is something simple to give mom to read and it includes several drugs.
http://www.breastfeedingbasics.org/cgi-bin/deliver.cgi/content/Drugs/illicit.html
I also have attached an article from the AAP in regards to alcohol use.  Maybe this will help.
Ann Slaughter RN,IBCLCMobile, AL
Alcohol Use By The Breastfeeding Mother

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, AAP, excessive or regular drinking is discouraged during breastfeeding. Alcohol is rapidly absorbed into milk. While it also rapidly clears from milk, research suggests its use can alter the taste of the milk and temporarily inhibit milk production. For these reasons, the AAP suggests that breastfeeding mothers avoid the use of alcoholic beverages. An occasional celebratory single,
 small alcoholic drink is acceptable, but the AAP and other experts suggest that mothers wait about 2 hours until resuming breastfeeding. The
 official AAP rating states that alcohol is a maternal medication “usually compatible with breastfeeding.” 

Tips:
Breastfeed your baby before taking alcoholic beverages. Avoid breastfeeding during and for 2-3 hours after drinking alcohol.
Pumping does not get rid of the alcohol in breast milk quicker.
If you drink enough to feel “high,” experts advise waiting several hours before nursing the baby. You can pump during this time if you feel uncomfortably full.
Consult your doctor about the need for discarding milk for 2 hours after drinking alcohol. It may not be necessary.
When a big celebration is planned, arrange for someone sober to help care for the baby. 
Avoid drinking excessive alcohol. Seek help from your doctor if you are concerned about your alcohol use.
Some medications interact with alcohol. Check with your doctor.
   References:
Cobo E. Effect of different
 doses of ethanol on the milk ejecting reflex in lactating women. Am J obstet Gynecol.  115:817- 821, 1973.
    Hale, T. Medications and Mothers’ Milk. 2006. 322-323.
     Lawrence, RA, Lawrence RM, Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession, 2005, 396-397. 371
     Mennella, J.A. Effects of Beer on Breastfed Infants. Letter to Editor. JAMA 269:1637, 1993.
Mennella JA and Beauchamp, GK. The transfer of alcohol to human milk. Effects on flavor and the infant’s behavior.    NEJM 325:981-985, 1991.
Newman, J., Pitman, T. The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers, 2006. 200-201.
Pediatrics, American Academy     of Pediatrics: The Transfer of Drugs and Other Chemicals Into Human Milk, Vol. 108 No. 3 September 2001, pp. 776-789.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2