Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 04:05:16 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (59 lines)
Dear Marianne,

Dutch dieticians, exept from the one we both know very well and cherish ;-) and a few and far apart others, are not know for their logical and practical thinking. Not alone in allergies, but also about starting solids with solid pieces of food in children we see that. Ans don't get me started on Dutch dieticians and infant food ...

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC in southern Netherlands

--- On Wed, 10/21/09, Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Subject: Re: [LACTNET] probiotics
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 12:00 PM

Hi Cathy (and Jennifer),

I attended a workshop about two weeks ago from a dietician. She told about allergies and food sensitivities.
I still have great difficulty understanding this whole issue and told her about this idea, that Jennifer often promotes: if mom does not have a leaky gut, then she will not let allergies through and therefore the baby will then not be exposed to allergens and consequently show no signs. She said this was not proven. I am really confused now: this theory of the leaky gut in mom sounds SO logical, that it is hard to believe that it is not true.
She also said that with eczema they first try ointments and if that doesn't work, they look further into the issue. To me, that seems the totally wrong way around of handling the problem.
What am I missing here? I suggested vitamin deficiencies and lack of unsaturated fatty acids might be well worth looking into, but no, that was not how they handled it.
I feel it is very abnormal that we see so many allergies nowadays. There is so much weird thinking in the whole allergy matter, in my view, that that is probably why I cannot make sense of its treatment.
Any enlightening views here, to share with me (and others)...? ;o)

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands

----- Original Message ----- From: "Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: [LACTNET] probiotics

> My opinion is that mom should be the one to take any probiotics. If her gut flora is altered, she might have a slightly leaky gut. I agree that there are many possible interpretations for the infant's behavior, and a full lactation assessment is in order before exposing the baby to some foreign substance.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2