From:
Dion & Anita <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 16:24:29 +1000
Just from personal experience does mum have oversupply/fast flow?
Perhaps the flow is reduced with the shield?
My second baby coughed choked spluttered on let-down and I had sore
nipples too.  She was clamping down to reduce the flow and although
she first attached deeply, she pulled back when flow started.  I'm
sure she doesn't have a tongue-tie.  Latch was always good.
I had to trigger let-down, let it subside and then put baby to
breast.  Also fed her in a semi-reclining position (not flat on back)
like Suzanne Colson describes in Biological Nursing so she had the
most head control and could allow some milk to come out of her mouth
if she needed to.  She eventually grew into the flow (and it settled
down, but it took a while) and is still nursing at nearly 2.

Does she need to get rid of the shield straight away?  Could she try
attaching baby after the let-down has subsided to see what happens?

Hope this helps a little.  I'll look forward to what others have to
say - this being a topic close to my heart.

Anita
ABA Counsellor, Australia