From:
Nell Blakely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 2009 06:58:42 -0600
the baby has to go on antibiotics for an infection. One of my own children
got bloody diarrhea each time he had to take antibiotics, but the culture
for C. difficile was always negative. When I started giving him acidophilus
when he got antibiotics (and after) the diarrhea stopped.

The most striking case I have seen where acidophilus helped, was in a baby
who was hospitalized as a neonate for meningitis. After she recovered from
meningitis she had watery diarrhea. The baby was receiving nothing but
breastmilk. The mother had tried every elimination diet known to man and was
eating practically nothing but rice.  The baby had seen two
gastroenterologists in two different cities without any improvement.
The mother researched acidophilus on her own, and gave it to her baby and
the baby improved almost immediately. I didn't think to recommend it in this
case because the baby was only a few weeks old, and my son was a nursing
toddler when the acidophilus fixed his problem.

It is amazing what we can learn from our patients! Nell Blakely, BSN, IBCLC
Brandon, Mississippi