From:
Mary-Jane Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 07:22:00 EDT

Dear  Lactnetters,
Just wanted to share a  story about the power of breastmilk/colostrum from
my day on  Tuesday.
Baby born by repeat  scheduled cesarean at 39 weeks to 30 year old mother,
second child. Mother had  gestational diabetes, and was on small doses of
insulin for about a month.  First blood sugar at 50 min. old was 37. Brought
baby to mother and he literally  self-latched at 1 hour and 1 min old on and
nursed for about 20 min each side.  Swallowing observed. Very content after
feeding. Returned to nursery  for admission meds and bath. Mother being
cleaned up and moved to her  post-partum room. Another blood sugar by heelstick
was done just before  returning baby to mother. Now get this result: 61.
Infant returned  to sleep on the way back to mother, but was placed
skin-to-skin on her for  awhile until showing feeding cues again. Baby nursed one side
for 10 min.,  then went to sleep and was content sleeping in bassinet next
to mother. After  about three hours, baby began to stir, so I brought baby to
nursery for  another blood sugar per protocol, as nurse could not leave
nursery to do  procedure in room. Blood sugar 57. Back to mother and nursed
again for 20 min  each side, was content and went to sleep. Mother now ready to
take nap  and since Dad had to leave to do errands, baby went back to
nursery  for a nap.
The only time I  saw the baby really cry since being on the warming table
in the OR was  after the second shot. And it was only for a few minutes.
This is the  birth/breastfeeding story for my newest grandchild,  born
Tuesdy morning at 0805.
Proud and happy  grandmother,
Mary-Jane Sackett, RN,  IBCLC
Pittsfield,  MA