From:
natalie hessell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 07:00:54 -0800
 Thank you Sheila!  I hope by more of us spreading this positive message that more mothers will not only be told of the joy of mothering through breastfeeding, but will actually see it, and know that it really is possible..  I am a strong advocate for our society including children.  When I 1st discovered LLL 10 years ago, when my oldest was 2, I felt like I had come home.  That was the first time I had felt welcome in a social setting with my child, and I did not leave him often, if ever.  Peer counseling and LLL send a very positive message to moms that they can bring their babies with them, life can be lived well with a nursing baby, and bf works, but the baby needs to be with the counselor.  Otherwise as someone already said, "Then just hire another nurse"  (although I would argue, in many situations an employee could work just fine with baby in a sling,  I am pretty sure the Sears's encouraged their office staff to bring babies to work, for
 example).

Another reason this is important is because of all the negative info on bf.  New moms hear how great it is, but hear the horror stories from friends and family.  And if they read certain popular birth and baby books, breastfeeding sounds more painful than having the baby (I know, birth is positive as well!)  They start out feeling they need a pump, are going to have sore, swollen breasts, bleeding nipples, may not make enough milk, and then get mastitis.  Sheila is right, moms and our society feel bf is just something to get through.  Haven't we all seen that sigh of relief when there is a "good" reason/excuse for bf to end?  As much as possible, moms and our whole society need to see bf moms and babies, and most definitely at WIC with Peer Counselors.

Natalie Hessell
LLL Leader, CLC, former PC