Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2009 11:37:00 -0700
7bit
From:
Karen Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Does the mom need to wean? Probably not. But it is important to explore, as
Liz suggested, why was she told to wean.  Are they going to give her
medications to minimize the tissue rejection?  If so, are they compatible
with lactation?

Another thing to think about: kidney removal is a HUGE procedure.  The
surgery is long, with chest, ribs and back involvement.  Back in my dietetic
internship, which I must admit was a long, long time ago, they said that the
kidney donor had a much more involved surgery and difficult recovery than
the recipient.  So, does that mean weaning? Probably not, but maintaining
lactation, and a relationship with a toddler, will be impacted by the
separation and recovery period.

Let's not be flip.  Surgery and breastfeeding are compatible, yes.  Let's
also be realistic about the challenges for a mother with a major surgery.

Karen Peters, MBA, RD, IBCLC
Executive Director
Breastfeeding Task Force of Greater Los Angeles
310-374-1012
fax 213-596-5776
www.breastfeedla.org
Subscribe to our email newsletter: LA Breastfeeding BEE

Babies are born to breastfeed