From:
Sarah McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 11:00:25 +0000
Hi Karen,

Sorry to keep on about this one, but if you have checked all the normal stuff, suggest she stop taking anything with peppermint in it.  Of course she may not be taking any but it is just a thought.  Also locally one can buy herb drop sweets to suck with both sage and peppermint in them - not recommended for any mum with a supply issue.  Some mums may be more sensitive than others and some brands of peppermint gum, sweets, tea may have more peppermint oil in them than others.  See 'The Nursing Mother's Herbal' by Sheila Humphries and T. Hale 'Meds in Mothers Milk 2008'.

Locally at least one hospital was using peppermint oil tablets for mums with wind after birth.  I did not know until one mum spoke to me about it.  I have flagged it up with our local breastfeeding co-ordinator.

Best wishes,

Sarah McCann. IBCLC, BScHons

www.BreastfeedingResourcesNI.co.uk