Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 19:53:03 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Hi all,

Making a really good pp presentation is, as we all know, a hell of a job.
It is not just a couple of slides put together; it is a condensation of the knowledge and expertise you have gained after a lot of hard work (studying as well as working with moms).
Some people seem to think that it is quite alright to send you an e-mail with questions like: "Could you please send me your powerpoint? I have to give a presentation and would like to use your work."
I really disapprove of this attitude. A ppp is *my* intellectual property. I invested time, energy and money to be able to make it and it is only complete when my story comes with it.
Someone who did not do all the studying and the reading and the ruminating of the issue involved, will not be able to hand down the same knowledge as I can, due to my investments.
You cannot check all this; people who attended your class and got your handout, can later on do it without even telling you.
Even though it is good to know that they want to further disseminate the knowledge you handed them, it doesn't feel right not to be able to make money from it as a pplc and to see people walk away with it.
I find this an unethical and disrespectful way of dealing with stuff your colleague drew up. If the organisation doesn't want to pay, how do they think they can have quality training?
How do other people deal with it? I can ask her to make the audience clear that it was my material, but hey... if she doesn't have thorough knowledge... how can she hand down my information in the right way?
Do I want to be associated with it, if I don't know what she is gonna say about it? No. Do I want to be fully left out of the picture as if she had figured it out all by herself even though she is plagiarizing? No.
So... what IS a good way to deal with this...? Any suggestions? No more handouts? Only a text? Sell the handouts afterwards? Probably won't work either...
Make her transfer the money of the extra hours she would have to put into making the presentation to me? Call the organisation and offer my training? Pretty bold... ;o)
I hope some of you can share their ideas with me. Thanks in advance!

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2