From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:30:07 -0500
When I learned to speak Norwegian, my US-ian teacher used an example I have never forgotten to show the difference in embouchure between speaking US English and Norwegian (and a good number of other languages using super-rounded vowels like u with umlaut in German, or u in French).  She said you can speak US English while holding a pencil between your teeth like a horse's bit without it appreciably affecting how it sounds.  Sure doesn't work in Norwegian!  At least half the sounds are impossible to articulate unless your oral cavity is unimpeded by any foreign objects, including food.

I realized some time later that I unconsciously distinguish North American English speakers from Europeans when traveling by the comparative atrophy of the muscles around their lips. Even before they speak, I can almost pick them out of a line-up.

To try to get this back on topic (I am getting good at this now) - it stands to reason that breastfed children, tongue tied or not, with their well-developed jaws, cheeks, lips and tongues, would have an easier time of learning to speak clearly than if they were fed by a method requiring less coordinated complex muscle activity.  I don't know of anyone who has looked at the relationship between infant feeding history and problems with articulation at school age.

Rachel Myr
not tongue-tied, but had to learn from a speech therapist in grade school to say b, p  and m properly due to thumb-sucking overbite, and to swallow with tongue against roof of mouth, because same thumb was generally parked atop tongue for long periods every day
Kristiansand, Norway