Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 12:10:24 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
Research by the Australian team shows that babies who are nursing well and effectively are using mostly vacuum, not compression.  When babies use compression extensively and strongly, they WILL get milk when the breast is full, but they do not drain the breast as well because as the milk is being ejected, where it meets the restriction from compression by baby's tongue or gums (or a tight nipple shield or a tight pump flange) starts retracting into the areas of the breast that are less full.  This, over time, can decrease milk supply.  This is why we often recommend pumping in addition to breastfeeding when a mom is needing to use a shield.  Milk ejection is slowed by the presence of the shield.  Fine if you want to decrease supply.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Phyllis Adamson IBCLC
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: use of bottle nipple vs nipple shield

My understanding follows. I have no research to back it up.

There is a 90degree angle from the teat to the base inside the bottle nipple. It can injure mom's nipple to have it forcefully and repeatedly pulled against that edge.
Baby's compression is on the teat and not on any "areola" area on the bottle nipple, so baby bites on mom's nipple with every suck or compression. That can cause injury to mom's nipple.
The holes are tiny on the bottle nipple. Not so tiny that great volumes of liquid can't pass thru, but when one thinks of the risk of aspiration and baby's ability to draw air thru it if it gets lodged in baby's throat, well....
It works solely on suction, and not a bit on compression. Any tongue massage action is on the teat and not on mom's areola. Initially, baby may get good milk, but over time, incomplete milk removal can lead to reduced supply.

The silicone nipple shield is formed to eliminate that 90degree angle on mom's breast. It allows babe to open wide and do compressions on mom's areola instead of the end of her nipple - if applied properly. The holes are much larger, in theory to allow air to pass should babe get it lodge in the throat. You still miss the areola massage by the tongue, but it's a great improvement over using a bottle teat.

I have NO financial interest in any of these products. Just my observation of moms using both. Thank goodness I have never seen a baby aspirating either device. But I have heard of the risk.

Phyllis

--
Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2