Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:35:17 EDT
One of the things I love to do is ask moms of various cultures what  sorts
of foods they eat in their country to increase milk supply, and what foods
are taboo while breastfeeding.  The responses have been absolutely
fascinating, and I love to discuss this with them

The latest was a mom who is from Liberia originally, but fled with  her
family during the war and lived in Ghana until four or five years ago when  she
came to the States.  Her first baby, named Precious, was born in  Ghana.

The foods they eat in Ghana to increase milk supply are the leaves  of the
potato plant -- she said they taste very much like spinach, and raw
peanuts.  I think this is the first mom that has told me about peanuts to  increase
milk supply.  My mother always ate peanuts (roasted in the shell)  when she
was breastfeeding.  I figured she thought since George Washington  Carver
could make milk out of peanuts, so could she.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Wheaton IL
_www.lactationeducation.com_ (http://www.lactationeducation.com)