Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 09:36:39 -0400
Dear Friends:
Morgan, is this the study you are searching for?

Epidemiology. <javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Epidemiology.');> 1994
May;5(3):324-31 Freudenheim et al.

Early childhood nutrition may affect the subsequent risk of breast cancer in
adulthood. We examined the association of having been breastfed with risk of
breast cancer in a case-control study of women age 40-85 years in western
New York. Cases (N = 528) had newly diagnosed primary, pathologically
confirmed breast cancer; controls (N = 602) were randomly selected from the
same community and were frequency matched on age. Having been breastfed was
associated with decreased risk. The multivariate adjusted odds ratio was
0.74, and the 95% confidence interval was 0.56-0.99. We found little
difference in the association for pre- and postmenopausal women despite a
much higher frequency of breastfeeding among the older women. These findings
indicate that early nutriture in general and bottle feeding in particular
may relate to breast cancer development in adulthood.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a new study about it that is more equivocal: (remember that these
are only the abstracts, and subject to the eyes and beliefs of the reviewer)

Cancer Causes Control. <javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Cancer Causes
Control.');> 2009 Sep;20(7):1083-90. Epub 2009 Mar 29. Wise, et al

Early life exposures, such as being breastfed in infancy, may influence the
risk of breast cancer in adulthood. We evaluated the risk of breast cancer
in relation to ever having been breastfed in infancy among 9,442 women who
participated in a population-based, case-control study. Cases were
identified through cancer registries in three states (Massachusetts, New
Hampshire, and Wisconsin); controls were identified through statewide
drivers' license lists or medicare lists. Data on known and suspected risk
factors were obtained through telephone interview. We used unconditional
logistic regression to assess the relation of breast cancer with ever having
been breastfed and with breastfeeding duration (available for only 19% of
breastfed women) in premenopausal women (1,986 cases and 1,760 controls) and
postmenopausal women (2,600 cases and 2,493 controls). We found no evidence
that ever having been breastfed in infancy was associated with breast cancer
risk in either premenopausal women (odds ratio [OR] = 0.96; 95% confidence
interval [CI] = 0.83-1.10) or postmenopausal women (OR = 0.98; 95% CI =
0.87-1.10). The association did not differ according to breast cancer stage,
mother's history of breast cancer, or any other reproductive factor
assessed. Likewise, we found no association between breastfeeding duration
and risk of breast cancer. Our results did not support the hypothesis that
exposure to breast milk in infancy influences the risk of adult breast
cancer.

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
craniosacral therapy practitioner
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com