Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 23:32:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
In response to the post about Tardive Dyskenesia:
This can be a side effect of anti-psychotic drugs (which is one of the reasons I am so concerned about using it for milk production issues).  It can be a minor annoyance, like a facial tick or a twitchy arm, but it can be full body twitching (such as occurs in Huntingtons Chorea) and this is a debilitating problem.  If the symptoms begin and the medication is stopped immediately the problem doesn't usually persist.  But if it goes on too long it is irreversible.  I was unaware that it could be a side effect of Metocloprimide (Reglan).  However, if it is, the administration of this medication needs to be carefully monitored by someone who is well versed in the symptoms of Tardive Dyskenisia (like a psychiatrist!!).  It is an uncommon but very serious side effect! 

As I said in a previous post-using anti-psychotic medications to increase milk supply is a very scary thought to me.  VERY scary....

(Wish I didn't know so much about psychotropic medications--but I have a mentally ill family member and every time his meds are changed I do HOURS of research.  I've learned so much over the years!)

Barbara Leshin-Zucker, IBCLC
22 Cindy Lane
Highland Mills, NY 10930
845-928-6906 (home)
845-551-7527 (cell)

Aim with your heart, adjust with your head, and always, always, always, do all you can. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2