Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 2009 12:38:09 -0500
7bit
Sender:
From:
Phyllis Adamson IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
There is an element within the health care community that I know, who believe it's okay to use copywrited materials without asking permission as long as it's for "educational purposes". At one time, they used a couple of info sheets originally purchased from a well-known catalog of info, but made copies of these sheets to include in the discharge packet of info for moms going home. They also used an info sheet on jaundice produced by one of the ABM companies. The reasoning was, "We can't afford to buy all those handouts, and we're not selling them." They use hospital-purchased Care Notes now.

I have a thin reference book, bought at my own expense for use in writing relevant policies with citation. I loaned it to a management person. She returned it with thanks and told me she copied the entire book. When I objected, she said, "It's okay. It's for educational purposes. We're not selling it or using it to make money." She wanted it for her Dept's ongoing reference and policy writing. I told her this was a non-profit org and they depend on sales of this book to provide income. Again, she came up with the famous: "We can't afford to buy every book that we want." And that cured me of loaning out any of my books in the future.

The general attitude to my objections is that I am quibbling over nothing, everyone does it, and I'm just making life difficult for them.

I have asked authors for permission to use their materials, or for a list of resources. Sometimes they are willing to allow it. Sometimes not - so I don't. That's okay. It's their own hard work. So I proceed with my own research and writing.

Phyllis

--
Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC
Glendale, AZ.