Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:02:46 -0800
Re: tongue ties. This is a fascinating conversation to me. Another
anectdotal story: My fraternal twin daughters (born at 36-37
weeks, 5#7 oz and 5#15oz after a natural labor and birth) both
have tongue ties. Both nursed vigourously within five minutes
of birth and I never experienced any pain, and they never had
any feeding or growing issues. I did have a very plentiful milk
supply which they seemed a little overwhelmed by until it stabilized,
and I have normal erect nipples, which as has been pointed out
worked in our favor. They surpassed their birth weights by a
week postpartum and nursed exclusively until we added solids.
They're still nursing today at almost two. We haven't done anything
about their tongue ties and I have been trying to pay attention
to their verbal skills to see if anything needs to be done but
I'm not really clear what to look for. They're also growing up
bilingual (English/Spanish) so that makes it a little hard to
tell as well. Would those of you who had older children diagnosed
with speech challenges caused by tongue ties recommend a particular
course of anticipatory observation or assessment at this age?
I don't sense that regular ped's know much about this...would
it be worth a visit to a speech therapist at this point? I know
someone said waiting to see if they could say "sausages" at age
four so if nothing else we'll give that a try!

It would be nice to know how to guide moms with this question
of how to proceed even when breastfeeding isn't impacted.

Brooke Casey