From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:11:59 -0500
I suggest folks review Immunobiology of Human Milk by Lars Hanson.  Excellent explanation of the immune system, how vaccines work, the protection provided by mother's milk, how mother's milk transmits her own immunity from vaccinations, etc to her milk.  Excellent drawings and discussions that should be part of an IBCLC's vocabulary before entering into the debate over immunizations.  There's even some good understanding of autoimmune disease, allergies, etc.  This is one of those books that you can't just breeze through.  I would totally recommend it as a basic course to be taught as a foundation course for lactation consultants - along with pharmacodynamics, nutrition, in-depth anatomy and physiology including the endocrine system, public health, statistics, sociology, psychology, etc.  As a lactation consultant and a nurse, I am convinced that the more information one has, better observational and analytical tools, (the better map), the more one is empowered to create their own solutions.  When I see a patient with a difficult problem, understanding and helping the mom to understand what is going on, improves compliance AND success, no matter what the issue is.  What does the SCIENCE say about the issue?