Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:11:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
I suggest folks review Immunobiology of Human Milk by Lars Hanson.  Excellent explanation of the immune system, how vaccines work, the protection provided by mother's milk, how mother's milk transmits her own immunity from vaccinations, etc to her milk.  Excellent drawings and discussions that should be part of an IBCLC's vocabulary before entering into the debate over immunizations.  There's even some good understanding of autoimmune disease, allergies, etc.  This is one of those books that you can't just breeze through.  I would totally recommend it as a basic course to be taught as a foundation course for lactation consultants - along with pharmacodynamics, nutrition, in-depth anatomy and physiology including the endocrine system, public health, statistics, sociology, psychology, etc.  As a lactation consultant and a nurse, I am convinced that the more information one has, better observational and analytical tools, (the better map), the more one is empowered to create their own solutions.  When I see a patient with a difficult problem, understanding and helping the mom to understand what is going on, improves compliance AND success, no matter what the issue is.  What does the SCIENCE say about the issue?

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cassandra Leahy
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 11:55 AM
Subject: ILCA promoting vaccine

I received an email today from ILCA urging members to promote flu vaccination for pregnant women and all infant caregivers.  I was disappointed to learn that ILCA is officially getting involved in vaccine promotion.  I will not get into the "vaccinate---don't vaccinate debate", but I will say I was disappointed that ILCA is publicly taking a stance.    My concerns regarding this official promotion are many.

Informed choice and evidenced based practice have always been my guiding forces. Thimerosal still remains in the multi-dose vials of the flu vaccine despite government recognition that it is harmful substance.  In the US manufacturers of vaccines are not liable for vaccine injuries; claims must be made through the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.  I know of 5 difference H1N1 vaccine manufactures and each formulation raised concerns for me (the inclusion of squalene based adjuncts and the use of thimerosal as a preservative are only 2 examples).  Lacking facts and definitive evidenced based information leaves me only with questions.  When did vaccine promotion become an IBCLC role.

Perhaps I am the only one concerned with ILCA's stance.  

Cassandra Leahy
BA, RN, MSN, LCCE, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2