From:
Vika Nesterova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 09:47:53 +0300
Dear friends,

I am present a meeting for Maternal and Infant Health Project
coordinators (people, who are responsible for implementation of
evidence-based perinatal practices in the Ukrainian maternities).
There was a discussion about practice of one of maternities
(baby-friendly and overall very good in implementation of
evidence-based practices – for example more than 80% of thair vaginal
deliveeries are vertical).
In that maternity mothers with their babies (2-3 days postpartum) are
invited to special room where they (mothers) watch a video about
breastfeeding and a nurse shows them breastfeeding positions with a
doll and  tells them something useful (I hope) about breastfeeeding.
Mothers have their babies in arms during this lecture. Those moms are
also get information individually during their postpartum stay.
Objections to this practice were that mothers and babies are gathered
together in one room (usually it is 3 to 5 mother-baby pairs as I was
told). People from other maternities are afraid that this can increase
infection risks.
I was asked to investigate how this learning is organised in
maternities in other countries. I have searched the archives and found
several older posts where group education in postpartum units is
mentioned. On the internet I found that some hospitals have a drop-in
support groups where mothers of babies of different ages starting from
newborn are welcomed.
 If you work in a hospital, do you have some meetings for
breastfeeding mothers there? Some group education for new mothers? Or
only individual work? Are mothers discharged so early that it makes
group education impossible to organize?

Warmly, Victoria Nesterova,
Kiev, Ukraine