From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:51:07 -0400
I realize that there is always room for improvement and WIC probably has many things they can improve on.  It takes a lot of work to improve.  Someone mentioned that WIC is much better than it used to be. I definitely agree.  We see where we want WIC to be and they are not there yet, but I do believe some WIC offices are really working hard in the right direction. Our WIC office is doing a very good job, in my opinion. Yes, they continue to get pumps and give them out, but I feel it is a positive thing. They have seen an increase in their duration rates.  Many of these mothers still breastfeed and use the pump for going to work or school. I realize more and more moms are wanting to exclusively pump, but some of these mothers would not breastfeed if pumps were not available so at least babies are getting breastmilk.  Maybe the trend will be more breastfeeding in the future.  Anyway, our WIC coordinator does push for putting baby to the breast over pumping only.  They prefer mothers to see me first before they get a pump. I am a hospital based IBCLC.  I feel pumps are a great tool to help insure moms have a great milk supply.  I used to try to hold off on suggesting a pump, but have found that it can be better to start pumping sooner rather than later--get to it before mom becomes too overwhelmed and quits breastfeeding altogether.  I also try to stress lots of skin-to-skin and cuddling time with latching problems.  A good pump can save the milk supply so mom and baby have time to work on breastfeeding and also time to cuddle and bond.  I am glad our WIC office has so many pumps.  I am not saying I disagree completely with the anonymous poster.  I just wanted to say that some WIC offices really are trying.  Our WIC coordinator sees much room for improvement also.  She is currently working on more round the clock breastfeeding support.  We have plenty of tools to help with breastfeeding, but not as much help in the form of counseling. This may seem backwards, but at least it is something.

Anyway, I just wanted to put out a good word for our WIC office.

Christine Lichte, IBCLC