From:
Cheryl Hruska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 2009 12:13:30 -0400
I've searched the archives for help for this situation.  I highly doubt I will find
anything in my books on this one.  A mother experienced an 18 week fetal
demise in July 08 and is having breast fullness/discomfort every month at the
time of her period.  Unfortunately, she has also been unsuccessful at getting
pregnant in this past year and this difficult reminder of her failed pregnancy
every month is saddening for her.  She is able to express milk during this time
as well.  She noticed an increase in the fullness and leaking milk about 5
months ago.  However, she says she does not spontaneously leak milk, only if
it is expressed.  She is now experiencing the fullness again, started last night,
and the fluid expressed is thick and yellow/green.  She is asking if she should
express it and/or what can she do to make this go away.  She has said that
her physician told her that the extended milk production is not causing her to
have difficulty getting pregnant because she is ovulating.  She nursed her 4
year old for 11 months.  I would like input from those of you with more
knowledge before I continue with advice.  There are two physician LC's in the
area that I can refer her to but wonder if they have any experience in this
area either.  Please reply directly to my email.  I'm more than happy to share
any info I get if others are interested.  Thanks!!

Cheryl Hruska, RN, IBCLC
Omaha, Ne