Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2009 15:05:38 EDT
I found it interesting that I first heard about the CBC credential being
implemented by reading a statement written by the NWA forwarded to LACTNET.
This, even before I heard from IBLCE, asking for participation in another
survey. How is it that WIC knew all about this credential being implemented,
even before current IBCLCs were contacted by their credentialing organization?

I am one of the IBCLCs who contested the original development of the 2nd
credential, years ago, when this first came up. The issue seemed to have
disappeared, at least from the IBLCE website, soon after the survey, and it was
difficult to know what or when to expect any developments. Now to be informed
that the NWA has been in the loop longer than those of us who have earned
the classification of IBCLC, I find myself extremely disappointed.

Yes, with 90% of IBCLCs practicing as nurses, it should not surprise anyone
that private practice IBCLCs are struggling. It should not surprise the
Board, either, and it seems they believe that they can substitute the
anticipated CBCs for the dearth of private practice IBCLCs, thereby correcting the
current lack of community based breastfeeding support. I don't believe this
will provide the 'fix' that communities need to bridge the gap between leaving
the hospital and finding the professional lactation care that new mothers
need.

It seems that WIC does not intend to go along with the plan, either, as
they seem to have indicated that they feel their training methods need no
validation by the Board. This response should be seen as indicative of how far we
have to go. Add this to the lack of communication coming from hospitals
without lactation programs and from pediatrician's offices without IBCLCs, and
its relatively easy to understand the current situation.

As a private practice LC who was struggling to make a living six years ago,
I find that it has become nearly impossible to continue to strive to fill
in the gaps in coverage. In these troubled financial times, families are even
more reluctant to hire an IBCLC. I don't believe that having yet another
credential added to the mix is going to increase either the BF rate or
duration. It seems to me that the current alphabetical soup, created by the various
one and two day trainings, or the week long sessions, have already muddied
the waters adequately. What is ironic about the situation is that it seems
that individual IBCLCs are responsible for these training sessions.

Its my personal opinion that the profession would be best served by
developing a collegiate program that can be implemented across the country. Perhaps
then we could garner some respect and acceptance for our field. I fear that
as long as we expect the ranks to swell by nurses taking a short course in
lactation, the situation will stay the same.

Niki Konchar, IBCLC