From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 10:08:51 -0500
The issue over code compliance brings up another one - what about freedom to market a product whether or not it is a good product?  We allow cigarette manufacturers to market here in the US and this is a kNOWN problem.  I had a visit from a company rep and had the opportunity to check out their product.  IT is interesting to me that anyone can claim that their product is "just like Medela's" and get FDA approval without any real research being conducted on the product that is reliable!  It's all anecdotal evidence and based on opinions.  I have issues with products being marketed as code compliant when I care (I'm sorry people who I'm offending here) about product effectiveness in getting babies to the breast EVEN if they are separated from their moms because of work, illness or physical anomalies!  I am frankly sick to death of bad products!  I am studying hard to understand how babies learn, how to compensate for problems, how milk supply develops and maintains (yes, I'm board-certified but I study all the time!) what good researchers are finding etc, because my personal goal is to make it possible for every mom who lives near me that wants my help to get the best help possible, including my knowledge and expertise and products that will keep hope alive!  All products are not equal and what was promoted to me years ago by LC's as the best I found to be the worst!  Just because it "looks like a breast" "most like mother herself" does not mean it works or feels to the baby like mom!  This is my on-going and forever rant until I depart into the sunset!