Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 10:08:51 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
The issue over code compliance brings up another one - what about freedom to market a product whether or not it is a good product?  We allow cigarette manufacturers to market here in the US and this is a kNOWN problem.  I had a visit from a company rep and had the opportunity to check out their product.  IT is interesting to me that anyone can claim that their product is "just like Medela's" and get FDA approval without any real research being conducted on the product that is reliable!  It's all anecdotal evidence and based on opinions.  I have issues with products being marketed as code compliant when I care (I'm sorry people who I'm offending here) about product effectiveness in getting babies to the breast EVEN if they are separated from their moms because of work, illness or physical anomalies!  I am frankly sick to death of bad products!  I am studying hard to understand how babies learn, how to compensate for problems, how milk supply develops and maintains (yes, I'm board-certified but I study all the time!) what good researchers are finding etc, because my personal goal is to make it possible for every mom who lives near me that wants my help to get the best help possible, including my knowledge and expertise and products that will keep hope alive!  All products are not equal and what was promoted to me years ago by LC's as the best I found to be the worst!  Just because it "looks like a breast" "most like mother herself" does not mean it works or feels to the baby like mom!  This is my on-going and forever rant until I depart into the sunset!

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karleen Gribble
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:25 AM
Subject: Medela and ABA

Thought that some here might like to know that the Australian Breastfeeding Association has decided that they cannot continue to promote Medela via sponsorship arrangements.

"It is with regret that the Board of Directors of the Australian Breastfeeding Association inform their members that ABA acknowledges Medela's statements, publicly and also in private meetings with Association representatives, that it has, and also intends in the future to breach the World Health Organization International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes by advertising and selling feeding teats directly to the public. As a result of this, and in keeping with ABA's sponsorship and endorsement policy, Medela has breached the terms of our agreement and we have no alternative but to take steps to end our endorsement agreements with Medela. We have placed this matter in the hands of our lawyers."

I am personally very glad that this decision has been made. I believe that it will strengthen ABA as an organisation and encourage the protection of breastfeeding from the nefarious activities of companies that breach the International Code.

Karleen Gribble
Australia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2