From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 09:25:48 +0200
Hi,

In addition to Gonneke: here's the link for the 'information booklet' (read:
advertisement): http://www2.cito.nl/vo/ex2009/925-0183-a-VW-1-b.pdf.

This is what is says in the title and sub-titles and the first paragraph:
"Nenatal (and then the registered trademark-sign) Beta-palmitate Palmitine
acid (then the text:) Palmitine acid is the most common fatty acid in
mother's milk (about 20-25% of the milk fat). The palmitine acid in mother's
milk is predominantly present bound to de beta-position of the glycerol
molecule (60-70% of the total palmitine acid). In the present milks for
preterm babies the palmitine acid is mainly bound to the alpha-position."
Then a whole set of explanations I have no time to translate (although I
don't like the wording... but I'm not enough of a chemistrist or a
nutritionist to analyze what goes wrong...) and then this:

Tabel 1: Fatty acid composition of fluid Nenatal®
Code Fatty acids g fatty acid
per 100 g fat
Middle chain fatty acids:
C 6:0 capronzuur 0,2
C 8:0 caprylzuur 1,3
C 10:0 caprinezuur 1,0
C 12:0 laurinezuur 11,5
Long chain fatty acids:
C 14:0 myristinezuur 4,2
C 16:0 palmitinezuur 21,5
C 16:1 ω-7 palmitoleïnezuur 0,1
C 18:0 stearinezuur 4,1
C 18:1 ω-9 oliezuur 39,6
C 18:2 ω-6 linolzuur 12,5
C 18:3 ω-3 α-linoleenzuur 1,3
C 18:3 ω-6 γ-linoleenzuur 0,02
C 20:3 ω-6 dihomo-γ-linoleenzuur 0,02
C 20:4 ω-6 arachidonzuur 0,6
C 22:6 ω-3 docosahexaeenzuur 0,4
Other 1,7
from: The new generation premature milkfeedings, Nutricia

It's a crying shame, isn't it... :-((

From the question booklet, from Gonnekes link: "Over 6% of babies is born
early. These infants have a great need for nutrition with the right fats.
Nutricia, a well-known manufacturer of infant feeding, developed a special
product for this group and marketed it under the name Nenatal (Reg.
tr.mark). The manufacturer has provided a lot of information about this new
baby feeding. Part of this information is printed in the appendix belonging
to this exam."

I'm in touch with an NGO, as I said, and we will work on it further. She is
already in touch with one of the parliament members and we will be preparing
questions for the government. Those will indeed include the WHO-code, the
fact that these students will be parents but ALSO, considering their high
school level (highest possible in the Netherlands, preparing for
university), be those in scientific and decision making positions later on.
Very bad indeed. Like Gonneke said, it is a Dutch national exam and we want
to focus not on the manufacturer, but on the responsibility of the
government to abide by the Code and to protect public health. Obesity is
already in my draft, as well as the apparent risk of privatising government
task and allowing industrial/commercial influences to seep through.
This is so serious that we won't go for a local newspaper, Leslie, but will
try instead to get a national daily newspaper interested. The NGO has good
experience with that, so we hope it will work out.
I will let you all know how this continues... Thanks for your support!

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands