Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:03:44 +0100
>No, they aren't talking about a creamatocrit. I believe they are wondering
>about the electrolyte levels, sodium, potassium and such.
>
>I think I know the baby that they are talking about, as we had a 2week old
>who had lost from 7#2oz @ birth to 4#14 oz when she went for her 2 wk
>check with peds.

That's really, really serious....how can a baby dwindle away like
that? How often was the mother feeding? If the baby has no underlying
organic/congenital problem, then this sort of weight loss is most
easily explained by simple under-feeding and ignoring the baby's
needs.

Scary.

It reminds me of the cases on lactnet where it has been revealed that
the mother was trying to follow some extreme sort of scheduling
regime.

I think if this was ruled out or denied, I'd be asking about mental
health issues, including eating disorders, or even Munchausens by
proxy,  in the mother, too.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK