From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:34:17 -0700
Many of the WIC materials have been very good as addressing topics for teens
- one way to demonstrate that you're "there" for them is to have the topics
that you can cover in circles on a large post-it - and have them mark with
an x which ones they want to hear about, and have post-it notes to add to
the large one with topics that aren't listed.

Another way is to print up some of the handouts like the ones in:
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/wicworks/Pages/WICBFResource.aspx
....again, have THEM pick the topic they want to hear more about.

I also have a set of legos that I put up in front of the group that reflect
the information in the handout:
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/breastfeeding/Documents/MO-HowDoesForWAFBF-E
ng.pdf

My Peer Counselors and young staff all like these as visuals that are just
sitting out - I don't talk about them unless asked - but their eyes go to
them and it gives me the opportunity to clarify how one is not the same as
the other.

I also usually have a teen mom there - to make up for my white hair!  <grin>
If there's no teen mom I work at trying to get pictures (posters) that they
see of moms and babies enjoying being together.

We have been having a lot of "motivational interviewing" training.  One
activity includes asking how far are they in the path to deciding to
breastfeed - have them give a number from 1 - 10  and when they say 3, you
ask why aren't they at a 1 - then THEY give you the reasons why
breastfeeding is good.  You can then ask what it would take to have them
move to a 4...so THEY give you the barriers they perceive and you can then
discuss with them how to trouble shoot those barriers.

Don't forget the "women's ways of knowing" information about how women learn
- and work on their "feeling" side by asking them to describe how they think
their baby is feeling right now - and how they can help their baby feel
secure even after birth (warmth, closeness, etc.).  The idea is to let THEM
come up with the answers rather than having you lecture them.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA