From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 05:40:25 -0500
Historically fire has been used to deal with American foul brood disease.
Is burning a hive an effective means of dealing with other bee diseases?  I
am particularly interested in nosema.  It seems that the new nosema c. is a
potential danger that should be dealt with more directly than the old
fashioned nosema.  As I consider this though, I wonder about others like
European foulbrood disease.

This spring I am replacing a large amount of my comb and burning the old
comb.  Anything suspicious goes.  As I burn the old comb in the beeyards, I
have considered if the ash that remains in the yard is really disease free.
Perhaps the landfill is a better place for the culls.  I would appreciate
any thoughts.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL