From:
Ingrid Tilstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:13:29 -0700
Norma writes:
Could we also specify that CBCs only be allowed to work (in the field of
lactation) in a voluntary capacity?
This would answer a number of concerns:
 -  basic volunteer training would be more uniform
 -  build a pool of trained volunteers
 -  encourage volunteers to become fully qualified  IBCLCs
 -  emphasize the importance of having IBCLCs in paid positions
 -  build public awareness of the significance of the IBCLC qualification
 -  encourage acceptance of IBCLCs as a stand-alone profession

I'm not entirely sure which 'volunteers' are referred to here, but a pool of
trained volunteers already exists - La Leche League.

Training for LLL Leaders includes mentoring by more experienced Leaders, as
well as mandatory (ongoing) review of current breastfeeding research, etc.,
not to mention personal experience with breastfeeding.

After several years as a LLL Leader, I took a local 'breastfeeding
certificate' course before writing the test to become an IBCLC.  Because of
the education I receive as a LLL Leader, there wasn't much challenge in
either of those experiences.  Of course, I did gain new information, but my
biggest learning was how little training nurses receive in lactation around
here.

As Susan pointed out, the growth of LLL from a small group of women in the
States to an international organization with reliable consistency of
information across the entire thing is pretty amazing.  Women who attend LLL
meetings breastfeed and mother with increased confidence and many end up
nursing for those 'extended' periods we'd like to see more of.

Every time a health professional comes into contact with a pregnant or
nursing mother, they should encourage her to contact her local LLL and
attend meetings.  There's no substitute!

Ingrid, LLLL, IBCLC
Kelowna, BC
Canada