From:
Cheryl Hruska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:43:38 -0400
Thanks so much, Karen.  I do feel task oriented instead of patient oriented
with having to "check the box" on all of this teaching.  And our nurses really
do a fabulous job of talking to moms about the same kinds of information,
(unfortunately they don't all feel the same way I do about pacifiers).  My
supervisor is actually on board with changing things around a little.  Our dept
is expanding and we will continue to get busier.  I don't see our LC staff
expanding any as we get busier and it will be necessary to change the way we
function in order to help the moms that need help.  Since I'm new in my role
still, I feel better getting feedback from those of you very experienced as
lactation consultants so that I feel more confident about changing things.  I
want to enjoy my job and really feel needed.  You mentioned a handbook, we
do have a nice, glossy handbook with lots of color photos and information.  It
does have a feeding/diaper log in the back to record up to 4 weeks of info.  I
would love more feedback from others, thanks!!

Cheryl Hruska, RN, IBCLC
Lakeside Hospital
Omaha, NE