From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 10:22:05 -0500
 Terriann and other lactnetters,
I do not mean that mother's breasts should stay engorged over the course of
lactation. I was talking about signs in the early days/first week of
breastfeeding. I have come to find that one very reassuring sign is the
noticeable change in fullness in a mother's breasts around day 3 or 4.
I do notice the edema that you talk about in mother's who have had surgical
births or have gotten lots of IVs or pitocin. But that swelling is usually
more localized around the nipple/areolar complex, rather than the fullness
and firmness of the entire breast seen with lactogenesis II.
My comments about breast fullness were made during the discussion about wets
and stools not always being a reliable indicator that baby was doing well.
But coupled with very full breasts, say on day 3, 4, or 5, it usually is a
very reassuring sign.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA