Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:44:34 -0400
Dear Friends:

Thanks to Nina for sharing this article. Unfortunately, I can't read it. The
mother drank half a liter of pure alcohol? *She* could have died from acute
alcohol poisoning. I would like to know why her baby died. Did she roll on
it whilst in a drunken stupor?

The only case of a baby getting sick as a result of a mother's chronic
alcohol ingestion that I know about was published in 1978
*(J* Pediatr. 1978 Dec;93(6):965-7. Pseudo-Cushing syndrome caused by
alcohol
in breast milk. *Binkiewicz* A et al.)  The mother in this report was
drinking 50 cans of beer plus several fifths of spirits a week. The 2-month
old baby was admitted for symptoms of Cushing syndrome: buffalo hump, moon
face, gaining weight but not length.

If anyone knows of any others, I'd love to have the citations.

What disturbs me about the conviction for drunken breastfeeding is that it
is a slur on breastfeeding. The real issue is parenting while drunk. Babies
need aware and alert caregivers; that point seems to have escaped public
notice.

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, BSN, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
craniosacral therapy practitioner