From:
Jacquie Nutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:12:33 +0200
South Africa has an expanded definition of what's to be covered in our one-day-to-be-promulgated infant feeding regulations (based on the WHO Code of Marketing of Breast Milk Substitutes and subsequent relevant WHA resolutions ....WCMBMSSRWR, anyone?).

Too early to count on it, since our infant feeding regulations have been in draft form forever and have a number of probably fatal flaws (like no listed way of monitoring, no set penalties, no oversight committee).   The hogs at the trough are squealing, of course....which slows things down too, over and above the slow workings of the legal system.

It seems to me that pump marketing could be controlled by these regulations, though.  The Zimbabwe infant feeding regulations, implemented in 1998, also made provision for "other products" to be designated by the Minister of Health.  As people have pointed out, countries can take the WHO Code's minimum requirements and adapt them for their situation...and the sooner the better, I say.

From http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFileAction?id=72358

"designated product" means -

(a) infant formula,

(b) follow-up formula,

(c) infant or follow-up formula for special dietary or medical purposes;

(d) complementary foods;

(e) products or devices that may interfere with breastfeeding, including but not limited to feeding

bottles, teats and feeding cups with spouts, straws or teats; and

(f) any other products that the Minister may so designate by notice published in the Gazette.

Jacquie Nutt IBCLC

South Africa