From:
Jenifer Mcallister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:07:18 -0400
Hello All,  I have a situation come up in our NICU where a mother's milk is
showing significantly higher than usual levels of bacteria. We gave her new
pump tubing and sterile pump parts and talked to her about using good
hygiene when pumping but the next culture still shows unusually high levels.
 In the meantime the Neo is not allowing baby to be fed on her mother's
milk. She has been a very sick little premie so I understand the concern. I
just want to help this baby to get back on her mother's milk, and I'm afraid
the mom will give up pumping if her milk is not being used.

Does anyone have any ideas or references that will help us deal with this
situation?

Secondly, the mother asked if she could pasteurize her milk so that it could
be used.  Our NICU has not done this before and does not have a policy or
protocol. (And this is a conservative U.S nicu)
Does anyone have any information on this to share?

Thankyou,
Jenny McAllister