From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2009 07:32:45 -0400
Barbara writes an excellent post about how the proposed CBC could
standardize qualifications for breastfeeding helpers ... and of course, I
loved the very apt analogy that "no one thinks a paralegal is a lawyer."

Her telling comment is the following:  "I have been very concerned over the
last few years about the growing number of 'breastfeeding counselors' that
have taken a one week course or less and now
see themselves as credentialed."

And there's the rub.  The creation of the CBC will NOT eliminate all these
other courses.  There will still be people who take them ... and they still
will be perceived to be (or worse, hold themselves out to be) better-trained
than they are.

Adding another set of letters to the existing alphabet soup will not help us
to achieve the more important need:  getting the world to know what "IBCLC"
means in terms of the substantial training and skill we offer.

--
Liz Brooks JD IBCLC
Wyndmoor, PA, USA