From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:15:00 -0500

Esther Grunis asked:   How many of you had tongue tie at birth? Was it
treated?  Do your offspring have tongue tie?

Esther, I was "diagnosed" with tongue-tie (TT) 2 years ago while at a
conference session on TT, given by Dr. Betty Coryllos.  The participants
were checking each other and I was found to have a type 2-3 - and that at
the age of 67.  I was shocked; I had never checked myself.  Now I can see
that I have so many symptoms indicative (because?) of a TT, including the
one mentioned by Jennifer Tow recently:  I lose my voice when speaking for
more than a short period of time.  Who knew there might be a connection?  I
am also having more and more problems with swallowing as the years go by;
and you should hear the snoring - it sometimes wakes me up.  :-)  Do I wish
I had had the frenulum clipped?  Yes!

I recently checked my firstborn (40 years old) and she is TT; has some
symptoms, including speech problems that "appeared" as an adult.  When she
concentrates, she can eliminate them but it is hard.  I don't know about my
other 2; I haven't checked.  When my middle one was in 6th grade, she
started a speech problem; when I pointed it out to her, she was able to
overcome it.  Both my granddaughters were TT and could not BF easily, and
caused a lot of nipple pain for my daughter (their mom) as well as mastitis
until theirs were clipped at about the third week of life.  A large space
between the top front teeth runs on the other side of the family.

Your question is very interesting and bringing up more family issues.  For
instance, one of my siblings died as a newborn.  Could it have been related
to not BF adequately?  I'll never know.  Another sibling died at birth.
Could there have been a connection to TT and respiration problems?  Again,
I'll never know.  It could have been due to other causes; there was no
doctor in the village to give a diagnosis.  I just wonder.

Warm regards,

Lee Galasso, MS, LLLL, IBCLC, RLC

Westchester County in NYS, USA

"Children Are Born with the Right to Breastfeed"