From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:31:49 -0400
Sam wrote:
>Many locals feel it is unfair to "deprive" their babies/toddlers of sugary drinks that they and their older children enjoy. <

When my children were small I had a friend, a nurse, who told me that
she did not breastfeed because her breasts belonged to her husband,
not her babies, and that this was part of her culture.

Her second baby was born with so many problems that it was a miracle
she survived at all. Her baby was put on one formula after another in
an effort to find one that could be tolerated. We begged her to PLEASE
consider at least pumping her milk (if not actually breastfeeding) for
this very fragile little one, but with no avail. After many
hospitalizations and surgeries, the baby was was finally released into
her mothers' care, but she remained both physically and mentally very
fragile.

Soon after the baby came home, we saw her at the playground with her
mother and older brother. Of course we went over to say hello and coo
over her, and then I noticed that the baby's bottle was filled with a
pink liquid. So I asked, was that the new formula? "Oh no," said the
mother, "that is strawberry flavoured NesQuik. I want nothing but the
best for my baby!"

After that, I gave up.

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC
www.NormaRitter.com