Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:53:56 +0000
Virginia, all you say historically is true, and I have read it myself.

What we need is proper research in our own individual settings - do
mothers these days regularly give inappropriate fluids to their
babies and does the provision of free formula reduce this happening?

I suspect in the UK this has been exagerrated, though as I say, I am
open minded on the provision of our voucher scheme, whereby mothers
can exchange vouchers for a range of foods, including formula.

The provision of free formula, direct into the hands of mothers, has
not been a practice for decades in the UK - thank goodness.

But - and this is a big 'but' - our community health structures and
well-child support systems are free, non-stigmatising and easy to
access, and this means that gross feeing inadequacy (whether from
poverty, ignorance or otherwise) should be picked up. There simply is
no need, I would argue, for UK community health practitioners to
supply mothers with formula direct and I am glad this is not done.

It may be different elsewhere, but I'd still like to see some decent
research on it.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK