From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2009 10:21:30 -0500
I am so glad that we are willing to discuss fees and salaries here -
in most venues it's right up there with breastfeeding as a taboo
subject! I was recently on a Health Care Careers panel at the high
school, and one of the students during question time said, "You keep
saying we can make good money but how much do you really make?" There
was stunned silence from the panel...(Docs, dentists, RTs, RNs, PTs).
I'm a union nurse so I figured what I make is public knowledge. When I
said, "I make $35 an hour" there was an audible gasp from the audience
-- and mine was the name and profession that those kids talked about
later (well, the fact that I belly dance in my spare time might've
helped too!).(I work in a rural community hospital.)
Happy New Year to all of you, my extended family!
Dawn Kersula in snowy, windy southern Vermont USA