Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:15:58 EST

Jaye said:

<<A long time ago I heard about a study done by a couple of bf  researchers
who
found breastmilk in a hot car did a bunch of tests on it and  it was
fine.thus came the statement that breastmilk can be left out at room  temp
for up to 10 hours.  >>

********

Wow -- how our study  morphed!!!  Actually, Jaye (and all), the study that
Pat Bull and I did in  1987 which is now at least 110 years old, looked at
freshly expressed mother's  milk into clean, not sterile, containers, using clean,
not sterile, pump  parts.  We used 30 mothers.  Each mother's expressed milk
was divided  into 3 aliquots.  The first was cultured immediately after
expressing.  The second was put into the refrigerator and cultured at 10  hours.
The third was left at room temperature (about 70-72 degrees F) and  cultured at
10 hours.

The quick & dirty results -- there was no significant difference in
bacterial contamination (and that is ALL we were looking at) between the milk  put in
the refrigerator and that left at room temperature at 10 hours.

SOME of the cultures of the room temperature milk showed LESS bacterial
contamination at 10 hours than the original sample, and some showed LESS
bacterial contamination at 10 hours at room temp than the ones in the  refrigerator.
And some showed MORE.

But the bottom line was that overall, there was no real significant
difference between the two primary groups -- refrigerated & cultured at 10  hours or
room temp & cultured at 10 hours.

Hope this helps.

By the way, the study won the Virginia Apgar award (the first one given) by
the Lamaze Association and was published in the International Journal of
Childbirth Education, August, 1987.

First, last and only *real* study I've ever done.  However, I can give  you
*opinions* on anything and everything....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILC

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)