Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:09:18 +0200
I need to throw in a bit of research based information here:

A couple of years ago when I was doing research & talks on breastfeeding
equipment/pumps I tested this type of set up.  I too was convinced that it
was a marketing ploy by the two big pump companies to convince mothers that
they needed to buy a different kit.  Heck if it fit it should work, right?
Wrong!

I placed a Medela kit on a Medela Classic pump.  The maximum pressure was
210 mmHg.  When I placed an Ameda kit on the same pump the maximum pressure
rose to 300 mmHg.
Next I placed an Ameda kit on a LactE.  The maximum pressure was 225 mmHg.
When I placed a Medela kit on the LactE the maximum pressure rose to 490
mmHg.

When I did these two experiments, they lasted 15 seconds each to get the
data video recorded.  The breast used for the test had not fed a baby in
over 12 years but did produce 5-cc of a sticky brown liquid.  Furthermore
the breast/nipple hurt like the devil for hours after and was tender for
days.

The moral of the story - NEVER MIX BRANDS OF PUMPS AND KITS.  It is not a
ploy to make money but a risk to nursing mothers.

llp

Linda L Pohl, IBCLC, RLC
Linda "at" PohlHome.com  (Replace "at" with @ for e-mail address)
Phoenix, AZ (USA), Washington DC (USA), Chennai (India), Athens (Greece)