From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2009 07:48:51 +1100
In Australia the legislation is framed around the mother's right to be free
from discrimination on the basis of her sex (gender) and parenting
responsibilities.  Since breastfeeding is understood as an expression of
being a female parent and it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of a
person being female (or a parent), it is illegal to discriminate against a
woman who is breastfeeding.
There is no legal prohibition on discrimination against infants (or
children) so it would be difficult to frame new law that operated on that
basis here.  (Children are not allowed in many licensed venues, not allowed
to drive cars, compelled to attend school - or be subject to approval for
home schooling.) I am not familiar with US legislation (and I understand
that the state/federal relationships differ significantly from ours) so I
don't know whether you would have the same problem there.
Cheers
Nina