From:
Rachel O'Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:10:09 +0000
Dear all,

Magda wrote:

* don't think I have ever seen others working by
email (not as an adjunct to other practice, but as first, maybe only,
point
of contact) discuss their practice here on lactnet.  Surely you are out
there?

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter
The Breastfeeding Network, UK*

There have been answers from LLLGB and Netherlands, but I'd also like
to mention the LLLI Help Forms - mothers find LLLI via the web site,
then write for help on their specific situation. There is a team of
Leaders who answer the Help Forms, as far as possible relating to
their country where they live or country of origin. The responses
usually get to the mother within 24 hours :) (there may be times when
that's not possible).

Mothers often write late at night after the baby is finally asleep,
and they would not feel comfortable ringing somebody then. The Leaders
who answer Help Forms can fit them in during their day or indeed late
at night, as convenient for them - for some people it's easier than
phone calls because they can think about the question and respond when
they are ready - as well as include URLs, attach articles, information
sheets etc. (only LLL Leaders can reach LLLI info sheets on the LLLI
intranet, BTW).

I  don't do Help Forms for the same reasons that Magda mentions -
can't hear the voice tone, can't get a to-and-fro conversation going,
can't go 'hmm, ah, I see' etc to show her I'm listening ...! I take my
hat off to all those who work so well by email :)

Many happy wishes for the end of year celebrations, whatever you
celebrate, hope it brings you fun and family time. Did you know that
the longest night of the year was called 'Modranacht' - The Mothers'
Night - by the Anglo-Saxons? Good enough reason to make it your night
to celebrate youself, your mothering if you're a mother, and all the
mothering you do for all the mothers whom you support. Thank you for
increasing the amounts of prolactin, oxytocin, peace and love in the
world :))))

Rachel
near Cambridge, UK