From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:08:56 -0700
Babies can be in car seats if the parents purchase tickets, but that introduces compatibility issues (car seat to airplane seat) and the sticky issue of cost.  It would be better if the airlines offered an air safety seat option to parents.  When my daughter was younger I was reprimanded for having her in a sling while flying.  I was supposed to buckle myself up but keep my daughter in arms but unsecured during takeoff and landing, the most dangerous times of flying.  This certainly gives a mother a lot to think about during those times.  I always brought a car seat, and was sometimes allowed to use it in-flight.  Times are different now.  But babies under 2 continue to fly in arms on every airline, everywhere.

Safety issues aside, there is no excuse for publicly humiliating and harassing the mother of a newborn for nursing or otherwise caring for her child in-flight.  Has there been any follow-up apology from the airline, employee re-training, reprimand?

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC, RLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Babies are never buckled up.  Until the age of 2 they do not have their own
seats and are held by a parent.  I personally have flown with breastfed
babies and toddlers from Israel to the US countless times with no problems.
What happened to this poor woman is inexcusable.
Chayn in Israel
.