From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:09:45 +1000
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 Kathleen Bruce wrote:

In today's NY Times, there is an interesting article on the way women treat
other women in the workplace.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/jobs/11pre.html?em.  It's called " A
Sisterhood of Workplace Infighting" by Peggy Klaus.  I think it sheds light
on the way that women treat other women in the workplace and why, and would
be interesting for us all to contemplate as we focus on bettering our own
positions, interactions, and relationships at work and elsewhere. I remember
in Kathleen Auerbach and Jan Riordan's first book, there was a section on
workplace interaction, and there was  a statement about work being like
"Swimming with the sharks."  I never had thought of it that way but as a
nurse, it did seem to fit the dynamic.  Interesting reading and
contemplations....
Women's ill-treatment of other women in the workplace, or the "swimming with
the sharks" situation, has also been termed "horizontal violence".  It also
occurs in organizations other than workplaces.
Horizontal violence doesn't have to happen.  I am blessed to have had some
predominantly female workplaces where people cooperate, get on well, and
where sheer niceness prevails.

[In a day or so I shall be going "nomail" as I am leaving this facility on
Thursday and I don't know if I'll have email access for at least a few days
while back in hospital for assessment.  Until after the assessment, I
*won't* know where I shall be sent, nor when or for how long, as it will
depend on my bones.  On a positive note, I am seeing progress in range of
movement of both legs.]

Virginia
In Brisbane, Queensland