From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:08:25 -0600
>Right. New ideas should never be dismissed because they are new, different
or outlandish. But some of the ideas bandied about are not new, and they are
still outlandish.

What I never see looked at on lists is some of the methods advertized in bee
magazines as cure all for our current bee problems. Beeks on lists are quick
to jump on Dee and the truly no treatment group when some really suspect
treatments are put forth in current bee magazine advertisements.

Why not at least discuss some of these advertisements ? If I had time I
would make many sellers of these methods and products end up with a red
face.

Three adds in the December issues are suspect.

1. Full page add in December Bee Culture suggesting each of us place
Checkmite in our hives to control small hive beetle (SHB). Add claims
checkmite is the only *registered* in hive treatment for SHB.

Bob Harrison truth check:
Beeks in Florida used the SHB issue to get checkmite a section 18 so the
product could be used for varroa control.
also:
SHB is considered a minor issue with most commercial beeks hardly worth
contaminating your hive with coumaphos over. SHB get choumaphos on their
bodies and cruise the hive.

 I imagine many hobby beeks place checkmite in their hives as a preventive
year after year after reading those adds. Drench the ground with GoldStar.
bob