From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2009 09:34:59 -0500
Absolutely agree.  As a lactation consultant who is nearing the end of her career, I am convinced that we need more not less serious credentials for the moms who deserve to have the best of care for their babies and breasts.  We need more scientific inquiry as has been done by Peter Hartmann and others.  I am appalled by a certain formula company that last year sent around a fellow who did lactation research to promote their formula at expensive dinners that MD's and nurses attended.  I am appalled by the dismissal of women who have problems with simplistic answers and pats on the back.  The criteria to pass the IBLCE exam is so minimal for LC's, why have anything LESS?  Respect in our culture is often calibrated to salary.  Until what LC's do is coded so reimbursement can be paid by third party payers which would be tied to highly respected credentials, accurate documentation standards and scientific rationale for our recommendations, nothing will improve.  Dumbing down and creating a "lesser credential" won't fix this problem.