Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:11:05 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
I did post about the ARTICLE a few days ago and that is all I have read.  I did not listen to 
the podcast so I don't know if they changed the slant, which is entirely possible.  The 
article was very much in favor of feeding from the breast, not the pump.  I was just 
talking to the CEO of the childbirth education center where I give groups and she loved 
the article too.  She pointed out the only part that I also would quibble with --- the doubt 
about the negative effects of not breastfeeding on IQ.  There was one really good study 
on IQ among premie babies who were randomized to either formula or pooled human 
donor milk that took away any of the arguments about confounding factors that showed a 
10 IQ point difference in this fragile group of babies.  

The article gave some fascinating examples of how Parisian women in the 1800s rebelled 
against the overly saccharine image of mothering they were supposed to do.  En masse, 
it sounded like the majority rejected mothering itself and handed their babies over to 
wetnurses.  Many European royalty delegated parenting responsibilities to "experts" --- 
eg. nannies.  Princess Diana rebelled against that.   I think it is important to look at the 
expectations of women throughout history to understand the fluctuations in our 
"societally-imposed" roles and women's reactions to these roles.  

Furthermore, I think the nanny shows need to go back to the original "Mary Poppins" 
model.  Unlike the current shows that "train those brats into submission",  Mary Poppins 
trained the parents into paying more attention to their children.

Best, Susan Burger

PS.  I cannot comment on what NPR did to the concepts of the original article and given 
the response, I'm not likely to want to listen to it either.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2