From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:11:05 -0500
I did post about the ARTICLE a few days ago and that is all I have read.  I did not listen to
the podcast so I don't know if they changed the slant, which is entirely possible.  The
article was very much in favor of feeding from the breast, not the pump.  I was just
talking to the CEO of the childbirth education center where I give groups and she loved
the article too.  She pointed out the only part that I also would quibble with --- the doubt
about the negative effects of not breastfeeding on IQ.  There was one really good study
on IQ among premie babies who were randomized to either formula or pooled human
donor milk that took away any of the arguments about confounding factors that showed a
10 IQ point difference in this fragile group of babies.

The article gave some fascinating examples of how Parisian women in the 1800s rebelled
against the overly saccharine image of mothering they were supposed to do.  En masse,
it sounded like the majority rejected mothering itself and handed their babies over to
wetnurses.  Many European royalty delegated parenting responsibilities to "experts" ---
eg. nannies.  Princess Diana rebelled against that.   I think it is important to look at the
expectations of women throughout history to understand the fluctuations in our
"societally-imposed" roles and women's reactions to these roles.

Furthermore, I think the nanny shows need to go back to the original "Mary Poppins"
model.  Unlike the current shows that "train those brats into submission",  Mary Poppins
trained the parents into paying more attention to their children.

Best, Susan Burger

PS.  I cannot comment on what NPR did to the concepts of the original article and given
the response, I'm not likely to want to listen to it either.